Imaginary Friends

Don't you love these guys???? I found the rabbit at the flea market for $75.00 and I never pay that for anything but I think he's the Velveteen rabbit and believe me time worn from incredible love but what took my breath away is that he appears to be praying and I need the reminder!!  So he sits in my studio watching and just when I have any less than feelings he's there to remind me I'm ok!!!!  It was a ton of money but he called to me and his message is priceless to me…I know when I craft I can sometimes be judgmental and if you ever feel this way find yourself questioning your abilities you can come back to this post time and time again and know that you have a cheerleader in me and my bunny!!

DSC_0341IMG_2775

27 Responses to “Imaginary Friends”

1. I love that, Jennifer. One book I always find myself going back to from time to time is Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach. I even have a book on tape version of it in my car where she is the reader. In one of my favorite chapters, she talks about the Velveteen Rabbit and how, like this precious plush bunny, sometimes how much we are loved shows because we may feel that all of the ‘pink’ has been rubbed off of our nose or our fur is worn or our new ribbons have becomed frayed. But we are real. And once you are real, you can never be made un-real again. Maybe your little rabbit is offering up a prayer for all of us artsy-craftsy ones, to give us some strength on those days when we may feel a bit insecure about what we create. To remind us we are real, and loved. Warts and all. God, that was a long comment! Anyway, Have a lovely week. Warmly, Cathy ^..^

2. jen duncan says:

For $75 I’d say that bunny spoke to you LOUD and CLEAR! In the second pic it looks like the crocheted bear has turned around to give confession to the rabbit, who is, of course; praying for him. :-)
    Which reminds me–I need to go to church this morning! Have a good day Jennifer.

3. Caroline says:

The Velveteen Rabbit is one of our favorite books and I believe your bunny could be him! The more I look at him, he also reminds me of some of the Peter Rabbits that my daughter has, especially with his paws together. Whomever he shall be, what a wonderful find. For the loving, self~affirming thoughts he inspires in you, I feel that his worth is far more than what you paid.
    It is certainly true that one of the challenges of creating for others is the ever present potential for self-doubt and self-consciousness, and, the resulting feelings of insecurity about that which you are creating.
    Love and hugs!

4. He is lovely Jennifer. Sometimes we just need things no matter the cost. xoxoxoxo
    Dena

5. ooooh you KNOW I am loving this entry!! :)
    What a happy lil fella he will be with you!!!!
    Love ya Jenn
    xoxo me
    NEW blog: http://everyday-is-a-holiday.blogspot.com/

6. Patrice says:

when they speak to you, well, they just do. . .. he is sweet-as-pie, Jennifer! Did you find him at The Trunk??? I went this morning and it was so flippin’ C*O*L*D!!! brrrrrrrr. . . . not many more Sunday morning flea trips tho. . . . I sure will miss it this winter!

7. That is a wonderful post. I’m sometimes so judgemental…of myself, not others. I need that kind of reminder, too.
    Thank you so much for sharing.

8. Thanks for that, Jennifer. I thought I was the only artist with self doubt…

9. Marsha says:

Great purchase – he’s a keeper!
    S.W.A.K.

10. He is absolutely perfect in every way! Enjoy :)

11. Stepherz says:

Loved this post. I can see why you fell in love with that sweet rabbit. He/she is adorable! You are a darling to share him with us!

12. Aimee' says:

Isn’t it amazing the things God will use to get our attention! I think He used a very special bunny! And He obviously is thinking about you! Love this post!

13. Elaine says:

You’re right…it’s always great to be reminded. Thx.!

14. Shannon says:

That Velveteen Rabbit is precious! I adore that book. It’s so heartfelt.

15. LuAnn says:

He’s so adorable and how appropriate your post is, as I set here at 3:40 AM obsessing about my work… As far as the cost, just think what an hour with a psyco-therapist or craft counselor would cost! lol I say it’s money well spent…

16. Bobbie Lynn says:

He is sweet. You felt something comforting about him, so he s worth the money. I have my little Boyed bears in the craft/computer room and they make me smile when I walk in the room. Happy Monday to you!

17. I love that!!! WHat a need reminder too! Come Celebrate Fall with me! Great prizes everday this week!http://www.three-peas.com/2008/10/celebrate-fall-extravaganza-is-here.html

18. What a beautiful find! He’s perfect, I love it.
    ~ Jennifer

19. Love the bunny!!!! and all those cute pillows behind him!!!!
    smiles,
    Joy~

20. amy says:

Anybunny that can do all that is a bargain at any price! You are an amazing artist Jennifer, I think your honesty and humility only adds to it.
    But I also know I can be my own worst enemy.
    peace,
    amy

21. Marnie says:

sweetest little bunny – i can see why you bought her/him -

22. jennifer,
    i am loving your sweet bunny…the velveteen rabbit for sure!! and if your ever need help rationalizing any purchase, contact me……i am the queen of rationalizing!!
    meleen

23. Kim G. says:

Very sweet velveteen bunny! It seems that once in a great while we all find some small treasure we just HAVE to have in our life. I am sure he will bring you lots of smiles and warm fuzzy feelings for a long time to come, and that’s priceless!

24. Ashley says:

Jennifer,
    If you haven’t, with ALL your spare time, you must read The Tale of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo… your rabbit is so Edward… It’s a children’s book but I found myself enjoying it more than my girls as we sat under a shady tree reading it this summer.

25. Carolyn says:

Aw, I think that is a wonderful find! I wonder how long he’s been waiting for the right person to love and appreciate him? I’m glad he’s yours. :)

26. Polly says:

That velvet bunny is the darlingest! I know what you mean though about never spending much on anything. Except when I go to the Magnolia Pearl booth, I NEVER spend much on anything. My husband likes to tease me about it too. Before he met me and had 4 kids, he used to have much more freedom with his salary. He would buy shoes for $200-$300. I’ve always been a garage sale gal so I think it’s ridiculous to spend that much on one pair of shoes. And when I tell him that, he just replies with, “Says the girl who spent hundreds on a PILLOW”. But in my defense =) it was a once in a lifetime thing and I REALLY love that Magnolia Pearl pillow! So, $75 for a velveteen bunny isn’t so bad at all.
    Have a beautiful Wednesday. Blessings… Polly

27. Linda says:

I love (your) Velveteen Rabbit, and I, too, choose to believe he is praying. There is a wonderful scripture (one of my favorites) that reads “God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform.” I so love that. I believe that anytime we feel something deeply in our hearts, that can most assuredly be a time when God is speaking to us – through whatever the form may be. WE simply have to be wise/humble, and obedient enough to hear.
    Thank you also, for the reminder that it’s ok when we don’t reach that place of perfection every minute…we are none perfect, be it Crafts/Art/Writing…I am a perfectionist (not always good) and I can identify. Most importantly, thank you for reminding us that we are cared enough about that when we experience a moment, we have a place of refuge, here amoung the leader, and all those who truely understand.
    As always, keep up your BEAUTIFUL work.
    Linda