Their Essence

Look at these amazing photos done by my friend Tim Geaney!  These photos were a gift to my husband and I on our birthdays.  I've never held a picture of my two that moved me so.  It's them in all their essence.  It evokes such a maternal instinct in me.  First and foremost I am mother to Matthew 19 and Katie 15.  They are the reason for everything I do.  All the hardship, all the joy , wrapped up in this single black and white.  Along time ago, when the kids were very small, I made a deal with God after a long mysterious illness that almost broke me, that if God would keep me here long enough to raise my kids I would never ask for another thing…..well guess what…everything after that day has been a gift.  So here they are , my blessings, my loves.  I could never possibly thank Tim enough for this priceless gift.   Well last week Tim launched his own personnel blog and I can tell you everything he does is pure poetry.  Wait until his blog unfolds before your eyes.  I won't give it away but the first picture he posted of the deer is mesmerizing as is everything he touches.  What I love about Tim is that he has an old world sensibility when he employs his digital expertise that truly expands the experience.  You can see for miles in his work.  Crazy about the man??? You bet!!!  How we are linked?  Through his beautiful wife Nancy Deweir Geaney of Dark Horse Farm Fame.  My close friend who happens to quilt the most amazing pieces of artwork.  These two individuals have inspired me greatly to work outside the box and not be fearful of the outcome .The creativity when we get together is endless….often breathless with enthusiasm whenever we begin to talk.   So Tim I wish you enormous blessings in all your blogging pursuits its time the world heard you in your own voice through the lens of a camera. all my love, Jennifer
_MG_1252 _MG_1271

47 Responses to “Their Essence”

1. Very cool, Jennifer. Love the photos.

2. Suzi says:

Very cool. The pictures are beautiful.

3. Allie says:

Oh my those are wonderful. Your children are so beautiful. I love your son’s expression in the second photo. Went to Tim’s blog, you’re right, he’s amazing!

4. Wonderful photos. You will enjoy them for years to come!

5. Jodi says:

Awesome Pictures! Beautiful kids! What a fantastic gift!

6. Joan says:

My children are 18 and 20 now, but I was just remembering when they were very young. It was hard to get my son to smile for a photographer that he didn’t know, but my daughter had no halfway smile — it was always from the heart and bubbling over. I remember going in to look at photos after they had been taken and the staff apologizing because there weren’t any photos where she wasn’t smiling with her mouth wide open (and often tongue hanging out a bit). I said, “What are you talking about! That is her!” There’s nothing like capturing that “essence” to keep forever.

7. Bobbie Lynn says:

Children are one of Gods greatest gifts and what a beautiful photo Jennifer. Thank you for sharing with us. God is awesome! Matthew and Katie are blessed children to have you as their Mom.
    Wishing you a wonderful Sunday

8. Firefly Hill says:

Beautiful beautiful children! You are so blessed….

9. ccn says:

gor-geous! You must be thrilled to have pics of them like this!

10. Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Wowza! So nice!
    I made the same deal with God when my children were 6 and 9 and now they are 28 and 31 and both married! I am so blessed for each day.

11. Stephanie says:

Love the naturalness and playful quality of the photos instead of posed and typical studio pic! I love my children for who they are, just as you do yours. My children are 23 and 21.

12. corinnea says:

Beautiful photos. Lovely children. You are indeed blessed.

13. Tabitha O. says:

Those are amazing photos…I love the title of this post…now I need to take my girls out next week and take some personal pics-no where near as great as these wonders-but some more to remember my kids at their current ages before they turn older (they are 10 and 8) great inspiration!

14. The photos are gorgeous…just like your kids and you and Nancy too! Love it all, Jennifer!
    xo Simone

Wow, that was really wonderful. Thank you for sharing your loves with us.

16. Suzie says:

Gorgeous kids! Katie has your smile :)
    When all is sadi and done, our children are our greatest legacy.
    Big hugs to you xoxox

17. Monique says:

Beautiful children! Beautiful story! I find that when I give up- God really blesses me more than I can imagine. Thanks for sharing!

18. Somer says:

How wonderful to capture these fleeting times.

19. Teresa says:

I love your son’s t-shirt!
    The black and white photos are awesome!
    I am going to try to snap a few pics if I can get my son (15) and daughter(12) to sit next to each other without fighting.

20. Karla says:

Fabulous photos!
    Karla

21. erika says:

Wonderful photos! Your daughter is so beautiful.
    My pregnancies were very hard on my kidneys and as I face my seventh procedure this week, I asked God the same thing this weekend. I just want more time with my babies. What a blessing…

22. Laura Phelps says:

I cannot wait to check out the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love your story

23. jennifer says:

There are “photographers” and then there are “artist”
    He is truely an artist, and the camera is his brush.
    The second picture is fantastic!
    What a wonderful gift…
    jen

24. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!! I have a feeling our sons may be quite similar, just by that picture!! They are lovely just like you!!

25. marnie says:

great pics – thanks for the link to tim’s new blog – i just read back a few posts – oops – i am sure everything is aok now – love the photo shoot way back when -the girls are all so pretty in their sis boom finery. nice to see you at mary’s.

26. Timi says:

Awww, they are beautiful! I love the t-shirt ‘I drive too fast’.. just like my house LOL. The photos are perfect :)

27. awwww…..I love these two!!! Such GREAT kids!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sending lots and lots of love to you all!!!!
    XOXO Jenny

28. wow – amazing photos! Thank you for sharing your greatest loves!

29. amy says:

awwww…you got some cool kids there!!
    Thanks for sharing your heart!

30. Cheryl says:

I see what you mean about his photography! He is special! I love the photo of the deer!
    What a special gift to give you of your babies! Life is so precious!

31. Oh Jennifer!
    Gorgeous kids – and I know they are as beautiful inside as out because look at their mama! I didn’t realize you knew so much about my little speedbump last year-truly the only thing you want to do is be here for your babies. Beautifully written, my friend!
    xo-Mel

32. paige says:

absolutely priceless
    thanks for sharing your heart. what a wonderful mommy you are
    ya’ll are lucky to have each other
    xo

33. Nancy Geaney says:

Tears*** love*** more tears… your words mean so much to the both of us. We love you… easy to do!nancy

34. Tim says:

Dear Jennifer, Nobody has ever written of me so beautifully. You really have a way with words to make me feel so special. Thanks for all your super support.
    And thanks to all of you who have made such nice comments about the photos.
    Tim Geaney

35. Kim D. says:

Fantastic photo’s and beautiful kids.. You are blessed.

36. Aimee' says:

Beautiful beautiful children….. gifts from God!

37. Jennifer, those pictures are beautiful! They truly capture the “essence” of your kids.

38. Rochambeau says:

So grateful your gave your children life~
    Then….that they in turn~
    were able to give you yours!
    Matthew and Katie look cool. They are good looking and both have a strong presence. What a thoughtful gift from your husband. Tim did good!
    Constance

39. Alison Gibbs says:

What a wonderful gift.
    Alison

40. Jeanne says:

I think we have all made the same deal with God! I have had strange symtoms for the past seven years and my biggest fear would be not be there for them while they are growing up. Sweet post and you have beautiful children.

41. Can you share what your illness was? I’d love to know how God healed you!

42. So beautifully written! Behind every mother is a story, I am so moved by yours. I beleive everyday is a gift too. I have a story as well, I won’t bore you with details but I will say it has made me a better person and most importantly a better mom.
    Your children are beautiful!!!
    Have a great night,
    Jen

43. What priceless pictures!!!
    Just lovely…a perfect gift!

44. mtroy@att.net says:

Jennifer your children are gorgeous! Reading what you wrote about them brought me to tears. Hearing a mothers love at just looking at her kids is just a beautiful thing. I must go hug my little ones. Oh wait they are sleeping! Mom rule 101 never wake a sleeping kid unless they are late for something!

45. cathy says:

What a gifted photographer to be able to capture more than just the likeness of his subjects, but the very essence of what makes someone who they are. I also love the relationship dynamic of siblings so eloquently illutstrated in the 2nd pic especially.
    A moment in time, captured perfectly!!