May He Rest in Peace

My heart is breaking! My sister’s Pet, her beloved Pumpkin and her daughter Sophie’s best friend was killed by a band of wild dogs roaming the city of Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, a city, a growing metropolis, has been home to these wild dogs that terrify their neighborhoods killing their cats and now a 60 lb dog!! Enough is enough..calls to the city have gone unheeded and these emaciated mongrels have been allowed to terrorize the neighborhoods!! Now my sister lives with an extraordinary vision of not being able to save her amazingly humanlike dog from their clutches but the guilt of letting him out to go to the bathroom in his own back yard!!!!!!! It’s 2008 people!!!! My sister was over the top in love as only a dog lover could know with Pumpkin
and wondered if she could ever survive without him, after all the highs and lows he has comforted her through. Never did she imagine he would die in such a horrific way..carrying his tortured body home to save the life left in him and then making the grueling decision to let him sleep. Forgive me for using my blog but my heart is so heavy and I needed to say something and my quilting companions with all our dogs could possibly make a difference. I don’t know about euthanizing but if they are not or can not be rehabilitated is a child next? My niece Sophie is 60 lbs. Atlanta are you listening??? 4 dogs has turned into 9 over the course of 4 years!! Please keep my sister Meg and Sophie in your prayers, this is a tough one. For now leave a comment and if I find the right channels to voice an opinion I’ll let you know….Image001_2

62 Responses to “May He Rest in Peace”

1. I am so sorry! That is horrible. I can’t believe a dog can’t be safe in his own backyard. I’m worried about your niece. Let me know if I can do anything!

2. ooh how sad Jennifer that is just awful and for them not to do anything about it is plain crazy. What if these wild dogs hurt children. Say sorry to her for me, and I hope your niece can have her heart healed real soon.

3. cc says:

jen – my heart goes out to you and your family. what a terrible, senseless tragedy. my thoughts are with you guys.
    cc

4. That is heartbreaking. So sorry this had to happen.

5. Shelley says:

Oh Jennifer – please send my hugs to Meg. The city simply must intervene. If the wild dogs are aggressive enough to kill a 60 lb dog, a young child could unwittingly and innocently antagonize the wild dogs. While no one can bring Pumpkin back, hopefully his death will wake up the powers that be. I pray the decision-makers will recognize that something must be done to protect the defenseless. Heaven forbid a child should suffer a similar fate.

6. Oh Jennifer I am sooo sorry! Hugs to your family!!! And something needs to be done! You are right a kid or even adult could end up in the path of these dogs. The city definitely needs to step in!

7. M says:

I am appalled at the city of course. I am so sorry for your sister and niece…I wish them comfort in their time of healing from this loss.

8. Oh this is absolutely awful! Please extend our condolences to your sister and her sweet daughter.
    Very sorry this happened…
    xo
    Analise

9. Karla says:

Oh my God! I’m in shock. What an absolutely horrific thing to happen. I feel so badly for your sister and her family and for their precious Pumpkin. No one should ever have an experience like this. How can the city not be doing something?!
    Karla

10. cindy k says:

i am so sorry … that is so horrible and frightening.

11. That is so heartbreaking. I am so sorry!
    missy

12. Robin says:

Jennifer, I am so sorry. My heart goes out to your family. It is inexcusable that the city government does nothing knowing these wild dogs are dangerous and running loose in residential areas.

13. Karin says:

I am so sorry to hear about Pumpkin. What a horrible, horrible thing to have happen.
    When I travel into Atlanta, I sometimes see small packs of dogs roaming the streets looking for food. They have usually been abandoned by their owners or run away from abuse. The city must intervene, find these dogs and, unfortunately, destroy them. Once they have succumbed to wildness, they do not return to domesticity. The next time, it could be someone’s child.

14. Heather says:

This is so devastating, I am speechless. My heart goes out to your sister and your dear niece. I know how hard the loss of a pet can be and to lose one in this way can only be even more intense. Prayers for peace to you and your family…

15. Rachel says:

That is so,so heartbreaking. I can’t believe no one has done anything about this!?! That’s insanity! Something needs to be done! My thoughts are with your family and their beautiful friend.

16. Patrice says:

OH Jennifer ~ I’m so hearbroken for your sister and her family and her sweet Pumpkin Pie Dawgie!! My 3 hounds are my children, now that my real ones are grown~much love to her . . . . senseless, indeed! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo Patrice

17. Cynthia says:

That is really scary. My husband is a city manager and if citizens cam forward with that story, he would definately make sure that something was done about it.

18. Alexis says:

I’m so sorry! That is horrible!

19. clarice says:

How horrible and heartbreaking. I am so sorry. I can not believe they have not done something. It is crazy. Clarice

20. My heart is just breaking for your sister, your niece but most of all for poor Pumpkin.
    Last April my son was viciously attacked by a dog that had mauled our miniature dachshund the year before that and attacked another girl in our neighborhood the year before that. The animal control did not put the dog down (nor did the owner make the right decision). The city only made the owner put him in another environment where that dog is no doubt creating new havoc. I still lose sleep. I am with you ALL THE WAY! It’s 2008. This should not have happened.
    May God bless you and your family.

21. Caroline says:

I am so sorry. My heart and prayers are with your sister. The loss of a beloved pet is so heartwrenching. I hope the city is getting a wake up call now to do something!

22. Andrea says:

Oh my! That is horrible! Yes it could be a child next time! That poor dog, he looks adorable, if it was me I would be buying myself a gun and using it.

23. Peggy says:

I’m so sorry – I want to cry for your poor sister and I can’t bear to think about the little dog. Something had better be done – please let me know if anything comes about where I could help. Can we write a letter? Get tons of people writing to have this taken care of? I am so sorry.

24. katie says:

what a nightmare…so sorry.

25. nicole says:

My heart is just breaking for them. I have a little Yorkie and she is like a member of the family, I know they feel they have lost a loved one. They are in my prayers.

26. Kay says:

That is scary and sad, I agree something must be done. HUGS!

27. Marilyn says:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

28. Tatania says:

That is just an awful thing to happen, and so very scary. I will say a prayers for you and Meg and Sophie. Hope something gets done about it as soon as possible.
    Hugs

29. Melissa Healy says:

Wow! I live north of ATL in Alpharetta and I have never heard about this. We were just downtown yesterday. I’ll start asking everyone I know about this and see what can be done. Why hasn’t animal control been involved yet? I am so soory for your sister and her daughter- what a horrible thing to have ahppen to a family pet. Will let you know what I find out.

30. Julia says:

I’m speechless. How can this happen?
    I feel very sorry and my thoughts are with your sister and family – it’s hard to lose a family member, especially under these horrible circumstances…
    Hugs from the other end of the world,
    Julia

31. Laura Weaver says:

Jennifer,
    oh how this BREAKS my heart. I have 3 little dachshunds that I love—-
    I will keep your family in my prayers.
    Family dogs are so special.
    Laura

32. Oh, Jennifer, that is so sad. What are they waiting for, the dogs to get a child, an adult? Do they need human carnage to take action?!
    This breaks my heart. I hope they do something about it soon!
    ~ Jennifer

33. Oh I am SO SORRY – so very sorry. This is horrible – absolutely heartbreaking. My heart and prayers go out to you, your sister and her family. What a beautiful, precious furbaby too.
    Kim

34. DENISE says:

WHAT A HORRIBLE THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOUR FAMILY! THERE MUST BE A TELEVISON STATION OR SOMEONE THAT YOU CAN CONTACT TO RESOLVE THIS SITUATION! YOU ARE RIGHT, A CHILD COULD VERY WELL BE NEXT! YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYERS.

35. Dear Jennifer, I’m so sorry to read about your sister’s beloved Pumpkin. Any pet lover can feel her pain. The wild pack of killer dogs needs to be captured by animal control and euthanized before another pet, or worse, a child, is injured or killed. I hope she and her neighbors are able to convince the authorities to protect their children and pets. She will be in my thoughts and prayers. Warmly, Cathy

36. Laurie says:

jennifer and family,
    this is indeed horrible.
    i hope that something can be done to put an end to the wild dogs. *UGH*
    how can the kids go out and play safely?
    hang in there.
    thinking of you all.
    hugs,
    Laurie

37. No animal should have to suffer in that way! I just can’t imagine why they wouldn’t have done something about the problem already. I’ve spent time in South America and have seen what uncontrolled, often vicious, and always sick animal population looks like. I would hate to think of it coming in any way, shape, or form to our country.
    My heart is heavy with yours. I hope your sister is able to find some peace.
    Best to you both,
    ~Jennifer P.

38. Kathleen G. says:

This is horrible! I am so sorry about the loss of your sister’s dog. Pumpkin was beautiful. My heart goes out to everyone this precious soul has touched.
    Kathleen

39. Francisca R. says:

I was reading your message with growing amazement! How can this happen in a civilized country? Are there no laws in the US concerning these animals? Wild dogs living in a city???
    This is horrific, to think how this beautifull animal came to die. The terrible grief your sister and family has over a beloved family-member. I feel so sorry for them….
    I hope that the people in the neighbourhood can organize themselves to go to the city to try to do something about the wild dogs. I also feel sorry for that dogs…..dogs in our society are not mend to live on their own, they cannot help becoming so violent, living without any guide or home.
    I am glad to live in a country where there are no straying dogs and dog-owners have to pay tax for each dog; the money is used for dog-facilities. This is not always working, but most of the time is does.
    Please give my best wishes en a big hug to your sister and I hope she will ever have the courage to give a home to a dog, she deserves it!
    Please forgive my not so best English-writing, I hope you understand what I wanted to say……..
    hartelijke groeten from the Netherlands,
    Francisca and my best friend Shona, a Rhodesian Ridgeback

40. Tell your sister how sorry I am for her loss, They are just like your own child. Its a horrible thing to endure.
    Lots of Love, Chris.

41. paige says:

what an absolutely horrific story.
    i live outside of atlanta & had no idea
    i am just speechless….
    i am just so sorry for her loss….again i just dont’ even know what to say

42. CJ says:

That is so sad! I would be very fearful for my children and pets! That is just insane. I do NOT understand why the city does nothing about it. Isn’t there an Animal Control department??

43. Julie Loeschke says:

Shoot the damn dogs!!

44. LuAnn says:

Oh my God Jennifer, this is tragic! What has happened to common sense in this country? Dear lord yes I feel bad for a stray dog but common sense says that if citizens are complaining and nothing can be done for the stray and the stray is putting others at risk …. doesn’t it just make sense to capture that dog and put it down? And, doesn’t your sister and her family have the right to feel safe in their back yard? This kind of thing just really pisses me off…. excuse my language but it really does….

45. Tanya Whelan says:

Jen, I’m so sorry!!! for your sister and her girl. What a beautiful, sweet looking dog and what a horrible thing to happen. I just feel so sad for your niece as this has to be so difficult for a little girl to deal with…Can’t even imagine trying to console my daughter over such a thing…don’t know what to say, I’m just so sorry…

46. Tammy says:

Oh, I just want to cry! To lose a pet is one thing, but for that to happen is unspeakable. My heart goes out to your sister and her family. Sending big lovies…

47. Stepherz says:

I’m so so sorry. My heart is heavy as I know how good a friend and companion a dog is and couldn’t imagine losing my little Penny, much less like that. I’d be infuriated and broken hearted at the same time.
    Hugs to you and yours…

48. Simone says:

I am so. sorry. for your sister. Completely uncalled for, unacceptable, unbelievable, unconsolable! Please know I’m sending out well wishes to you and your sisters family. Losing a dog is like losing a family member. So tragic. My thoughts are with you all.
    Big Hugs.

49. brigette says:

jennifer,
    i’m so sorry to hear this happened to their family pet. they must just be heartbroken. and it’s not safe for small children,obviously. you could get the address of the proper authorities and have us all write them letters. i would be happy to. i would say publicity is the best bet. so sad for their loss.

50. Jona says:

Jennifer,
    This is so awful and my heart hurts for your sister’s family. I hope you can get some response from authorities because that is so scary and someone’s child could be next. I’m so sorry.

51. Petra says:

This is so horrible, I can’t believe my eyes!!
    Unbelievable!
    I am so sorry for that dog and your sister’s family, it really breaks my heart, too… You are in my thoughts, and I wish you loads of success in your efforts to be heard by the newspapers and the public. This sure can’t be ignored… so sorry.
    All the best! :((

52. amelia says:

I’m so sorry Jennifer, how tragic. I hope your sister and family are finding comfort in your compassion. You are such a kind woman, I wish you lots of luck in getting the correct action taken against these wild animals running around.
    xo-Amelia

53. Allison says:

Oh that is just horrible!!! When I was 19 and at work one day, my mom called me and had to tell me that my childhood cat of 13 years, Miss Kitty, had been killed by some roaming dogs. She said she had let her out on the porch to sit in the morning sun like she always did- she was an inside cat, and never left the porch. She said 2 large dogs had run though the yard and gotten her. MY mom was in poor health and I came straight home to bury her before my 16 year old sister could get home from school so she would not have to see her in that state. We later found the dogs owners and no only did =they no applogize they said it was our fought since she was on the porch and not inside. That is just heartbreaking to hear!

54. Mary says:

Jennifer, that just breaks my heart! Let me send out some feelers among my peeps and see if anyone has something, anything that can help with this issue.

55. karla nathan says:

How frightening! I can’t imagine why the animal patrol would put up with this, will it take a child being attacked to make them do something??
    I’m so sorry for your sis’s loss. Losing a pet is heart wrenching.

56. trashalou says:

that really is horrific. I’m so sorry for your sister and her family.
    Surely the Atlanta authorities should be able to do something?

57. Patty says:

Many Prayers comming your way

58. happy zombie says:

Oh Jennifer, that is so horrible what happened to Pumpkin. I grieve for you all. I truly believe that when Pumpkin entered doggie heaven, he wasn’t filled with horror – but was filled with the love and joy that Meg and Sophie have given him his entire beautiful life.
    I have two Goldies and so know how are beloved pets are part of our families. And they truly are human. Much love and hugs to you all.

59. happy zombie says:

Ooops… not “are beloved pets”… OUR beloved pets!

60. mary says:

Three years ago when I had to make that decision to end the suffering of my young dog, not viciously attacked but given the wrong care at the vet ER, I did not eat for a week afterwards and to this day, I have a small shrine in the house to her and just never seem to be able to forget her. Watching a pet that depends wholly on his/her owners for their care, suffer in what you see as a needless way is heart-wrenching and life changing. The positive that came out of this for me was that now, when anyone close to me has a pet die, I tell them that my baby girl is waiting for them and they are all playing happily together now in absolute peace. I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is a reward for such blessed creatures when their life with us ends. Blessing to your family.

61. Diana says:

It breaks my heart to hear this story! I don’t know what I’d do if I lost my dog – especially this way. Hopefully, they are able to take care of this soon! Till then, hugs to Meg and Sophie.